Despite recent setbacks construction at Dolores Park is moving ahead.
Important highlights include:
- The North Restroom is 99% complete. New toilets, sinks, and hand dryers have all been installed.
- The clubhouse will start demolition on Monday, and will last about 1 month. The construction fences have shifted in order to include a safe and secure perimeter around the building during this demolition.
- Operations Building is complete and the Rec & Park team is moving in.
- Final stretches of pathways will be paved in the next one to two weeks.
- Site lighting is almost complete, and site signs and furnishings will be installed shortly.
The vandalism on Valentines weekend caused about $100,000 in damage and will likely delay the reopening of the north side of the park. The majority of the damage was incurred when the vandals hot-wired the construction equipment and drove across the newly installed turf and concrete, damaging the equipment, the new grass lawn, and portions of newly-placed concrete that hadn’t fully cured. The vandals broke portions of the irrigation system, crashed into building and site walls, and started a fire in the new maintenance yard. Two arrests were made by the SF Police Department. The contractor is still assessing the damage and the ramifications to the project’s schedule.